Sunday 15 May 2022

Destination: Dubai


On a Breakfast Yacht cruise with the Burj Khalifa in the background


I went to Dubai with my family for Eid holiday, and I have learnt first hand that travelling with children is not a joke.

When the family was  thinking of where to go for this vacation, we considered a ton of cities but settled on Dubai because it was one of the countries that did not need us to take Covid-19 tests if we had been fully vaccinated, and the visa process was relatively simple since we chose to fly with Emirates airlines.

It is important to note that Dubai's working hours are shortened during the month of Ramadan and also that they have 5 days of holiday for Eid. 
Yes I said FIVE.

I'm still not over it.

We flew directly from Lagos to Dubai via Emirates and the tickets cost roughly N400,000 per adult. Infant tickets cost about N35,000. All the tickets were booked via the website and payments made through my banking app. Very seamless process.

Even though the UAE is not visa free for Nigerian passport holders, the airline assisted with the Visa in that, all the forms were filled in their office and they sent it off to VFS. Visa cost approx N40,000 per person.

I understand if you are flying other airlines, the visa can cost up to N120,000. 

So while Emirates is more expensive than most of the other airlines that ply that route, the ease of processing the visa more than makes up for this difference.

Travel insurance is mandatory, and someone at the airline office sorted that out as well, it cost N4,500 per person.

In Dubai they spend Dirham and the exchange rate is 3.65- 3.7 AED to USD. Before we left, we made sure to get some money from the bank via PTA, and the struggle was real.

I did not get my dollars until the morning I was leaving, but it was still better than someone in my travel party who bought from GTbank and they gave them money in a prepaid card that did not work all the time.

That being said, I observed a few changes since I was last there, but the most glaring remains the fact that Dubai is no longer as conservative as it used to be, I saw a lot of people dressed in scanty outfits and no one accosted them.  Like literally women in hot pants and everyone going about their business.

I have never travelled with children before so this was a real eye opener for how much time it takes to get a child ready, and how much stuff you have to take with you. EVERY. SINGLE.TIME.

Anyway because we went with children, the activities we selected were family related, we visited miracle garden, Global Village( a theme park) went to the mall, watched the fountain show and did a desert safari.

My mum, Sister & niece at Miracle Garden

Installation that reminded me of my salon in Lagos


Because my mother is Nigerian, we went to the Gold souk and spent hours there.
Five to be precise.
Entrance to the Gold souk in Dubai

Gold on display at one of the many stores we went into


Since we were a large party of 9 people, we got two 2-bedroom apartments at the Hyatt Place in 
Al-Rigga and it made so much sense since it came with a fully functional kitchen( ideal for making baby food); a washing machine ( you have no idea how many time babies change clothes- or maybe you do, I didn't. :) ) and lots of space for running around.

The hotel was under-going renovation but the pool was open, it was very close to a metro ( 5 minutes walk) and had a 24 hour supermarket next door. It also had breakfast included. I think I went twice since I was out late a lot and slept in most mornings.

We were very pleased with it. It room prices vary but it cost roughly 600AED per night for each apartment.


Me at Global Village- which was the absolute best time!


Minor detail, that I wish someone had told me before I got to the airport to return to Lagos,
Emirates Airlines checks in Nigerian bound flights in a makeshift terminal opposite the entrance of the departure terminal at the airport.


Also every time you are flying into Nigeria, you are required to fill This Form with all your covid information to enable you enter the country. Currently, fully vaccinated persons do not need to book a day 2 test or isolate etc. but the laws change regularly so please confirm before you arrive.


In the desert on the Safari- 
We used Rayna Tours for this and booked online.
Came to half the price we had been seeing everywhere else.
I can not recommend them enough.


But all in all, it was a great trip, not as restful as I'd have liked, but anytime I leave Lagos, I rest on a subconscious level so it was worth it to get away.

As always if you want further details, you can send me an email and I'll be happy to assist!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Destination: Dubai

On a Breakfast Yacht cruise with the Burj Khalifa in the background I went to Dubai with my family for Eid holiday, and I have learnt first ...